The idea for Sobar began in Florida when we saw a HUGE, pulsating beach volleyball party with over 1000 people. It was an alcohol-free event and I thought why not bring this vibe and excitement to events in my community? The event fermented (get it) for a few years and one evening while attending a concert at Merriweather Post Pavillion, it gelled. I was at a beautiful bar and my options as a non-drinker were soda, Red Bull, or creating a “mocktail” in my head and asking a bartender to prepare it. I envisioned
• Beautiful bars serving non-alcoholic beverages with healthy ingredients, innovative, sophisticated flavors and exciting tastes;
• A separate point of purchase for events serving alcohol to remove a potential trigger for people in recovery from alcoholism and addiction; and
• Creating exciting alcohol-free events.
Sobar was launched in 2017 after we entered and were one of three winners in the Changemaker Challenge contest sponsored by The Horizon Foundation and United Way. (link here to the article)
Since then, Sobar has served at cutting-edge non-profit events in our community and this year will begin our alcohol-free event schedule.
We envision an environment where the stigma of alcoholism, addiction, mental illness and not drinking alcohol is eliminated.
Our mission is to encourage choice in how we celebrate by providing a variety of sophisticated non-alcoholic beverages to consumers and hosting alcohol-free bars and events.
Inclusion – we believe
Choice – we believe
Healthy – we believe
Innovative – we believe
Sophisticated – we believe
SOBAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS & STAFF
Director, Fundraising and Events
Director of Certifications
SOBAR IN THE NEWS
Presented at Ignite Howard County
Learn about how we started
Click here to watch founder Beth Harbinson's interview with AARP as part of their series Meet the Founder.
United Way announces winners
As the Horizon Foundation and United Way of Central Maryland prepare for their second Changemaker Challenge in November...
Meet Beth Harbinson
A conversation with Beth Harbinson and CanvasRebel Magazine
Sobar Puts Grant To Good Use
When Beth Harbinson serves up non-alcoholic drinks to the board of her new nonprofit for a taste test, they know to expect the unexpected...
Changemaker Challenge Winners
The Kossiaoff Center at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab looked a bit more like the set of ABC's "Shark Tank" Monday night, as 10 innovators...
SOBAR CERTIFICATION & PARTNERS
Sobar Certification partnership is offered in recognition of a pledge your business or organization makes to offer equitable non-alcoholic beverages at all events that include alcohol. Examples of equitable offerings include non-alcoholic wine, beer, or cocktails. There are now over 400 products that meet this description and are available through Sobar’s partnership with Better Rhodes.
The benefits of certification include:
● Limited use of the Sobar logo on event promotions, menus, and your website.
● Inclusion on Sobar’s website as a Sobar Certified organization, including a link to your website in the listing.
● If applicable, inclusion on the Better Without app that guides users to restaurants, bars, and venues that serve and include non-alcoholic beverages.
● The opportunity to inform your stakeholders, clients, members, friends, organization, and community that you proactively and equitably support choice and inclusion for non-drinkers.
● The potential of broader attendance and increased revenue from non-drinkers who look for events and venues that include beverages they can enjoy.
● Direct access to and discounts with our NA beverages wholesaler, Better Rhodes.